The McCain campaign announced over the weekend that they are going to go “100% negative” until the election, so I thought I’d write up a little fact sheet on John McCain. The so-called “liberal press” has barely touched on these issues, but thanks to the blogosphere, the truth is coming out. Feel free to forward this to as many people as you like, preferably to those who are still on the fence. Thanks~~H
Facts about John McCain
John McCain was part of the “Keating 5″ in the Keating 5 scandal in 1989 which was caused by deregulation and greed, and resulted in the collapse of hundreds of savings and loans banks across the U.S. and the loss of over $500 billion dollars of people’s savings, and cost taxpayers $300B in bailouts. Senator McCain was publicly chastized on the Senate floor for his participation, and declared in his book that it was the “biggest mistake” of his life. Keating went to prison for five years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxBCAaulG-k&feature=related-Short <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxBCAaulG-k&feature=related-Short> Keating 5 synopsis.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju7zjDnF_d8&feature=related <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju7zjDnF_d8&feature=related> –Another short Keating 5 synopsis–less than 2 minutes.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmoRh3IWzlw <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmoRh3IWzlw> John McCain talks about the scandal in 2002 and his participation, while promoting his book. Please note the parallels of what is happening today.
Senator Obama’s campaign site also has a longer documentary up of 13 minutes, detailing Senator McCain’s involvement in Keating 5 on www.barackobama.com
CNN’s Jack Cafferty laments the lack of media coverage of Keating 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW3mj_FktnU
Today, October 6, 2008, John McCain denied any wrongdoing in the Keating 5 scandal, http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2008/10/06/mccain-campaign-denies-wrongdoing-in-keating-five-scandal/ and then he declared Senator Obama was a “liar” in response to the Keating 5 documentary that posted today on his website (link above).
McCain lawyers pushed back today and claimed McCain was treated “unfairly” by the Senate during the scandal, and that McCain withdrew from the illegal dealings once he realized the DOJ was investigating. (So, that makes it legal, right? This is exactly what McCain was chastised for on the Senate floor–he claimed innocence only when he learned he was being investigated.) “In an interview, Bennett (McCain’s lawyer) said McCain should never have been dragged into the ethics case to begin with. He said that after his own lengthy investigation, he came to the conclusion that the case against McCain and former Sen. John Glenn (D-Ohio) “should have been dropped” because the evidence suggested that once McCain understood that the Justice Department was investigating Keating, he backed off any involvement.” http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/10/06/mccain_lawyers_push_back_on_ob.html
Senator John McCain Has Consistently Voted Against Troops and Veterans Safety and Health and In Favor of Corporations
Given the hype around McCain’s POW and military record, this is undoubtedly an eye-opener. But, have a look at his voting record which favors corporate tax loopholes over the safety and health of our troops time and time again. Here is a sampler:
- John McCain was given a grade of “D” by the nonpartisan Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America Action Fund for his voting record to support our troops: http://www.iava.org/full-ratings-list .
- The nonpartisan Disabled Veterans of America gave John McCain a 20% for his voting record to support disabled vets: http://www.votesmart.org/issue_rating_detail.php?r_id=3483
- Very comprehensive article on Vet Voice, one of the top blogs for veterans issues: http://www.vetvoice.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=1973 .
1) April 2003: Voted to table (kill) the Landrieu Amendment which would have provided $1B for equipment for the National Guard and Reserves (look at wording at top of document which explains it was a vote to table): http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=108&session=1&vote=00116
2) October 2003: Voted to table an amendment by Sen. Chris Dodd which was to provide additional money to troops’ safety equipment (look at wording at top of document which explains it was a vote to table): http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=108&session=1&vote=00376
3) March 2004: Voted against creating a reserve fund to allow for an increase in Veterans’ medical care by $1.8 billion by eliminating corporate tax loopholes: http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=108&session=2&vote=00040 .
4) March 2006: Voted against increasing Veterans medical services funding by $1.5 billion in FY 2007 to be paid for by closing corporate tax loopholes: http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=2&vote=00041
5) April 2006: McCain was one of only 13 Senators who voted against $430,000,000 for the Dept. of Veteran Affairs for Medical Services for outpatient care and treatment for veterans: http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=2&vote=00098
6) Sept. 2007: Voted against the Webb Amendment which would have given troops adequate rest between deployments: http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=110&session=1&vote=00341
7) Sept. 2007: Voted against giving the Dept of Veteran Affairs $20,000,000 for veteran medical facilities: http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=2&vote=00111
As mentioned, please check out the Vote Vets article above, it is full of information about McCain’s voting record with regard to our troops and veterans. And please erase my email address if you forward…and please forward widely.
More later on Sarah Palin, with love,
Politics | Comment (0)