Resource of the Week
4 Simple Ways to Avoid GMOs
1. Buy organic – organic producers are not allowed to use GMOs
2. Look for “Non-GMO” labels
3. Avoid risky ingredients: corn, soy, vegetable oil (canola, cottonseed, and soybean), sugarbeet sugar
4. Buy products listed in the Non-GMO Shopping Guide
Those little oval shaped stickers on produce can tell you what your food really is:
5 digits with the first digit starting with a # 9 – is Organic produce!
5 digits with the first digit starting with a # 4 – is Conventionally grown produce
4 digits with the first digit starting with a # 3 – is GMO! – this is NOT produce, it is Franken Food! (do not buy this one, even if it is on sale! Lots of times these types will be a much lower price but do not buy it!!)
***Also know that if a product has any corn or soy byproducts chances are that IT HAS GMO INGREDIENTS IN IT because, unfortunately most of the corn and soy produced in our country is from GMO – be sure if the product has any corn or soy ingredients that it is organic!
- We no longer have the luxury of saying that we can’t afford organic, no matter what income bracket you are in! – give up your monthly cable bill, your cigarettes, your stock up on bad foods and piles of movie dvd’s, there is ALWAYS a way if you are serious enough! – Our government is obviously “politically bought out” by these corporate mafias but WE as consumers have the power to NOT support this madness. If we don’t give them our money they can’t exist! But we need to learn to get our own priorities straight and stop making “I can’t afford it” excuses!
- Also support local business and farmers markets… NOT Costcos!!!
“The purpose of life is to be restored back to Love, moment to moment. To fulfill this purpose, the individual must acknowledge that he is 100 percent responsible for creating his life the way it is. He must come to see that it is his thoughts that create his life the way it is moment to moment. The problems are not people, places, and situations but rather the thoughts of them. He must come to appreciate that there is no such thing as “out there.”
~Dr. Ihaleakala Hew Len
Cora L Piliwale
Kapolei Health & Fitness Center
Hawaii Medical Service Association
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Hawaii
An Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association
949 Kamokila Blvd. Kapolei, HI 96707 Suite 170
Tel: (808) 694-1910
Fax: (808) 694-1040
This electronic message is not an offer to contract, the acceptance of an offer to contract, or in any other way intended to contractually obligate HMSA; neither is it intended to change the terms of any existing contract unless specifically so stated.
The information contained in this electronic message (or attached hereto) is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential and protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are cautioned that use of its contents in any way is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or telephone and return the original message by e-mail to the sender or to email@example.com. We will reimburse you for any cost you incur in notifying us of the errant e-mail. Thank you.
Uncategorized | Comment (0)
Last year more than 72,000 men and 69,400 women were diagnosed with colorectal cancer. Nearly 12,000 women were diagnosed with cervical cancer. One in eight women will develop breast cancer in her lifetime. Early detection of cancer increases the chances of successful treatment. Visit Spotlight on Health at hmsa.com for more information. – A message from HMSA