Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000149 EndHTML:0000013070 StartFragment:0000000199 EndFragment:0000013036 StartSelection:0000000199 EndSelection:0000013036 http://www.endthekoreanwar.org/index.php <http://www.endthekoreanwar.org/index.php>
Action Alert – ONLINE DEMONSTRATION for Peace in Korea – Sun 11/28 and
President Obama is sending the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS George Washington (carrying 75 warplanes and a crew of over 6000) and other warships for additional war-games with the South Korean military beginning this Sunday, November 28.
This only escalates the already tense situation on the Korean peninsula and brings us dangerously closer to an all-out war.
And the blogosphere is already full of hate-mongering rhetoric calling for “retaliation” after the tragic incident on Yeonpyong Island earlier this week.
Two civilians and two South Korean soldiers have died. We say NO MORE LOST LIVES.
We need all those who stand for peace to call for de-escalation on the Korean peninsula and an immediate end to the U.S.-South Korean war games.
On Sunday, November 28, from 12 noon to 3 pm EST (9 am to 12 noon PST)
and Wednesday, December 1 from 7 pm to 10 pm EST (4pm to 7 pm PST)
Join the National Campaign to End the Korean War (www.endthekoreanwar.org <http://www.endthekoreanwar.org/> ) in a coordinated “online demonstration” -
1. Barrage the White House and State Department with emails and urge President Obama and State Secretary Clinton to immediately stop the joint U.S.-South Korean war maneuvers, and sign a Peace Treaty to end the state of war that has existed for sixty years on the Korean peninsula- http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact <http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact> http://contact-us.state.gov/ <http://contact-us.state.gov/>
2. Post replies on online media sites and blogs where they are discussing the issue and beat back the war-mongering rhetoric with calls for de-escalation and a peaceful resolution. Refer to the attached factsheet for talking points. Some suggested sites are -
3. Post links to articles calling for diplomacy on listserves, blogs, facebook, twitter -
• ”North Korea’s Consistent Message to the U.S.” By former President Jimmy Carter in the Washington Post, November 24, 2010http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/23/AR2010112305808.html <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/23/AR2010112305808.html>
• ”Crisis in Korea?” by John Feffer, Co-director of Foreign Policy in Focus in the Huffington Post, Nov 23,2010http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-feffer/crisis-in-korea_b_787639.html <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-feffer/crisis-in-korea_b_787639.html>
• Tim Shorrock Posted on the Daily Beast.http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-11-24/korea-standoff-barack-obama-only-has-one-choice/?cid=hp%3Amainpromo1 <http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-11-24/korea-standoff-barack-obama-only-has-one-choice/?cid=hp%3Amainpromo1>
• “A Return Trip to North Korea’s Yongbyon Nuclear Complex” By Siegfried S. Heckerhttp://www.nautilus.org/publications/essays/napsnet/reports/a-return-trip-to-north-korea2019s-yongbyon-nuclear-complex <http://www.nautilus.org/publications/essays/napsnet/reports/a-return-trip-to-north-korea2019s-yongbyon-nuclear-complex>
• “Review U.S. Policy toward North Korea” Bob Carlin and John Lewishttp://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/21/AR2010112102276.html <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/21/AR2010112102276.html>
Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space
PO Box 652
Brunswick, ME 04011
http://space4peace.blogspot.com/ <http://space4peace.blogspot.com/> (blog)
Thank God men cannot fly, and lay waste the sky as well as the earth. ~Henry David Thoreau